Thursday, December 13, 2007

time to reflect

After enough sweating on the beach I decided to head to the hills.  I’ve seen the commercial for the movie I AM LEGEND with Will Smith. Apparently something to do with him being the last man alive. Well if that were me I would find myself a nice fancy car, like a Ferrari or Aston Martin and come drive the InterAmericana between  San Isidro and San Jose, Costa Rica. It’s an amazing stretch of road that climbs 6k feet through the jungle on a winding, twisting narrow ribbon of tarmac (just for your rally enthusiasts) that any driver can appreciate.  Beautiful.  I pretty much drove right through San Jose and up to the Parque Nacional Volcan Poas (I’m going from memory on the name) it closes at 3:30 so at 3:33 I set up camp at a small Cabinas and restaurant near the park entrance.  A brief chat with the caretaker and a camping spot was mine for the taking. Dinner was a whopping $3 but for once I probably overpaid. Good thing camping was free.  However the bad food was more than compensated for by the absolutely amazing view.  The chilly 40 degree temps and 8k elevation combined for one of the best night sleeps I’ve had in awhile. 

 

After waking up early and rested I drove up to the park and went for a hike around the volcano.  It was hard reconciling a volcano summit with the lush forest surrounding the cauldron. Instead of taking pics I wanted to just savor the experience.  Stare at the smoldering sulphuric pool, inhaling the humid, acrid air, evesdropping on American and german tourists.  A brief 15 min walk took me to a separate cauldron.  This one no longer warm, rainwater having filled the dormant basin. More admiring, more evesdropping.  It was a relaxing treat to not try and document the experience. Just to live in the moment.  Or maybe I forgot to put the card back in my camera and it sat in the card reader with my laptop while I tramped around the hillside with my camera over my shoulder. I’ll let you decide. Regardless it was a good morning. Tonight crashing in a $10 fairly clean but sparse cabina in Fortuna at the base of Volcan Arenal. Tomorrow more hiking.

 

 

Dave Connors

Lead - Expedition Americas

www.expeditionamericas.com

 

No comments: