Tuesday, April 1, 2008

hotel montreal redux

Ushuaia, Arg is a grand town. I’ve seen all of it. Four times. The doldrums of shipping are upon me once again. Instead of the grand and lovely ant infested Hotel Montreal of Panama City this time I’m in Hosteria Alakfula or something like that. The difference is I like this hotel. The people are super nice and I’m dining in a way that would send a vegan into therapy. However I am still slipping into a funk. The joy of reaching my destination and the excitement of seeing my friends and family again is fleeting.

I wake up check my email. I walk down to the panaderia and get some breakfast. Come back check my email again. IM friends at the old job. I then go for a nice long walk since I haven’t fully fixed my truck yet. Then I come back to check my email and then go get ice cream. Then I walk some more, today I took a nap, and look for souvenirs even though I’m fully stocked I think. I go get laundry or an Ushuaia stamp in my passport then I watch tv. Maybe IM friends, check my favorite message boards then I go for another walk. By now the sun is down and the beef is being cooked on the spits at the Parillas so I choose one of the 30 and eat ribs, steak, chicken, sausage roasting right in the front of the restaurant. Two nights ago I was right by the table where the cut the meat, or I should say chop it and it was fun to watch the patrons flinch at the flying juices. Then I get more ice cream and come back here.

I’m currently trying to get out of Ushuaia, ARG or Punta, Arenas, Chile. My first email regarding shipping was sent March 12th. Yep that’s right over 3 weeks ago and I still don’t have a quote, a shipping date or destination port. It’s a grand old time and has nothing but positive effects on the psyche to sit and wait while the excitement of attaining a decade old goal is killed by losing control of your situation. The other day I posted about how amazing it was to have a life of total freedom. Well now I have none as I sit here and wait. So I consume massive amounts of cow product and oh how wonderful it is sitting in my belly and I wait. And I check email and I wait. Then I walk and I wait. Meanwhile flights are going up in price and Fenway Opening day is drawing close. I’d just be happy if they told me I had to drive 4k miles to Santiago to meet a boat. At least then I would feel like something had been accomplished. But no I’m sitting here waiting. The waiting would be fine if I knew I was here for 5 days, or 10 days. But the fact is I might have to get in the car and leave for Punta Arenas as early as tomorrow. So it’s not like I can just go hop on an all day sight seeing cruise or go hiking. I'm stuck. So there you go. Ushuaia, Argentina, a town you can see 4 times in 3 days. It is pretty though. and has great food. The jokers in Panama need to come down here and take a cooking lesson or two.

No comments: