Friday, December 7, 2007

serendipity

It’s late, I’m exhausted, my eyes are burning, I just ate French Toast at Denny’s (in the parking lot of the Costa Rica hotel) of all places and I’m pretty sure I lack the ability to write a coherent or properly spelled post this evening. But damn it I’m going to try. I’m burning 6gb of photos to DVD so I need to use this time wisely. I feel almost as messed up as I did last night after taking an Ambien to sleep in my sopping wet tent and then trying to stay awake.

So Ben and I wanted to camp on a beach last night and spend the day playing in the surf. After wandering in the dark down potholed roads nears San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua we decided we need to ask for directions. I had bet Ben that the owner of Latin Latitudes B&B were white folk when we first drove past it. Once asking was agreed upon we pulled up to the gate and began our conversation with Alan from Ontario, CAN. yep, white. His b&b was undergoing maintenance so he couldn’t offer us a room. He recommended a few places back in town (20mins away) and we were set to leave when he volunteered a level spot to park and open the aforementioned wet tent. It turned out to be ideal. Slept well with the help of narcotics (the heat, moisture and humidity were too much) and woke up to the sounds of a Alan’s dog and crashing surf. We spent some time in the ocean and used his outdoor shower. The chances of us stumbling down that dirt road, at that time of night and deciding to break down and ask for help are very slim. It was pure luck that we ran across a nice place to stay, a beautiful beach, and shower to boot. Too bad my down comforter is now in the trash. I need to figure out why the tent was wet. Thank you Alan. I can only reiterate how grateful we are for your generosity.

If that good fortune wasn’t enough he recommended a nice place to eat lunch. While eating lunch in a tiny sandwich shop in San Juan del Sur we talked to a guy who grew up in Morgan, UT. Less than 30 miles from my hometown. Currently living in GA but still mighty bizarre to find ourselves talking to a Utahn so far away from home. Oh and I passed 10k on the odometer yesterday. 10k in one month. I kick ass. Or am just an idiot. Hopefully 3 weeks in Costa Rica will help balance it out a bit.

Unfortunately our good luck ran out at the Costa Rican border crossing. 4.5 hours of just standing and sitting and standing and sitting and then more standing and more sitting. It was sort of expected but still frustrating. Late drive into Alejuelo so I can take ben to the airport tomorrow morning. I will struggle with the solitude I’m sure once he is gone. I’m thinking a week of Spanish school is in order. Pics tomorrow.

Dave Connors

Lead - Expedition Americas

http://www.expeditionamericas.com/

No comments: