Tuesday, March 25, 2008

here it comes

Another late night ramble.  I have no idea where I’m headed with this but usually these turn out the best.   It all starts out with losing my internet connection. Sweet. I may be typing for my own benefit.

 

2am and kicking it with an awful piece of Argentine beef in my stomach.  Last two nights were excellent. I gave the tri-fecta a shot and failed.  Joint was recommended by my hotel which is odd since this a nice place and the food was awful.  Why am I in Rio Gallegos, Argentina tonight and not Torres del Paine, Chile?  Because La Esperanza had no gas. Station was out of gas. Really.  So the YPF’s lack of fuel forced me to head here. It is good since I’m trying to arrange shipping home. Which is starting to shape up a bit like Panama.  Oh Joy! If you any hook ups don’t be afraid to send me their info. So I’m getting some email done, then tomorrow after a late checkout I’m off to Chile and some more hiking.  I need a good night’s sleep but tonight is not that night.  Last night was another back of the car night.  The wind blows here non-stop. I got 17mpg today with the 40mph tailwind. It’s also the wind I slept in last night. My truck is like a sailboat.   It gets blown all over the road and is just as bad while parked at night. Needless to say I slept poorly last night. But hey I have a single bed with peach colored sheets on it tonight to make up for it.

 

I really have no clue where this post is going.  I should give some props out to Jim Jackson while I have the chance.  Jim works for ARB-USA.  For those not in the cruiser world ARB is a manufacturer of off road products and for a long time was the only real aftermarket supplier for Land Cruisers.  My bulbar, my snorkel, my suspension and my pimp 60liter freezer/fridge are all imported by ARB USA from Australia.  Jim and I met at SEMA a few years ago and as they are responsible for all the Americas he has connections through ARB distributors all throughout my route and has been giving me contacts along the way.  While in Chile he one contact resulted in a series of contacts that resulted in specific info on the Atacama to visit, a sweet lunch and afternoon in Copiapo, another contact in Osorno which resulted in another contact to get my exhaust re-welded and repaired as well as a trip to the airport.  It’s amazing to how much comfort you get from locals knowledge. Doesn’t matter if it’s a simple ‘go here to camp’ or if it’s trusting someone to work on your car.   Seriously Jim’s contacts have been invaluable all along my entire route.  So thank you sir.

 

It finally happened. The white noise in the background is finally complete. I have seen an episode of Friends in every country on my trip.   More importantly however I was able to catch and episode of 30 Rock tonight. In my mind it has surpassed The Office, My Name is Earl, and Curb Your Enthusiasm as the funniest show on TV.  Of course that is subject to opinion.  It pains me to say as much too because I think Jason Lee is the funniest man alive.  If Earl doesn’t convince you go watch Mallrats or Chasing Amy.  Yep I’m running out of things to say.  It is almost 3am.  Maybe I’ll add some more in the morning as I’m trying to track down a shipper.


Oh did I mention I could possibly attend opening day  at Fenway Park?  Yep I need to have Ruby Claire on a boat by April 6th.  10 days is doable right?  Either way I’ll be done and headed up home by tax day.  Good thing I filed that extension right? So not a lot tonight but something.  This is more like a daily log and guess what. Nothing happened today.  Oh I did have ice cream again.  Ahh now I’m smiling.  Argentine ice cream……

No comments: