Monday, August 13, 2007

Stop to Smell the Roses

There is a dilemma I often struggle with that reared its ugly head last night. Well ugly is not the right word. There are far worse things in this world than sitting out in the desert, underneath an ink black, cloudless, sky during the Perseids meteor shower. But the dilemma is one of not being able to enjoy the experience because I am focusing so much on taking notes or photographs.

So last night I was playing with my new camera, trying to capture a few of the phosphorescent green streaks filling the night sky. After about 40mins of failure and frustration I realized that I was missing out on the main reason I was out there, to enjoy the annual heavenly phenomenon. I left the camera sitting idly on the tri-pod, lay down on the tailgate of my cruiser and spent the next hour just enjoying the show and the warm desert night.

I hope that by the time I get home from Ushuaia balancing the documentation and the experience itself will be second nature and I won’t need to concentrate on one or the other. A lot more to write about from over the weekend but that will have to wait because I have to get ready for a conference call.
dmc

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sure you are going to miss those conference calls. Maybe when you are down south on this trip you can call a bunch of us up for a conference call?

Eric V.

Thrashes Rakes said...

The EOS 20D will be our main camera too. Takes a bit of getting used to but if you put in a bit of time it is second nature.

What lenses are in your kit? We have the 17-85mm, 80-200mm, Lensbaby 3G, and 180mm macro.

Looking forward to your reports

Shreesh Taskar
http://www.alongdrive.com

dmc said...

Shreesh,

right now I only have the canon 18-55 lens for my 20d. I am still debating exactly which lens to purchase. as funds are tight I think I will only be adding one for the trip. Right now i'm leaning toward the 18 - 200 and rolling with just one lens.

Someone sent me your site a few weeks ago. I'm pretty sure we'll run into each other along our trips. My route is a bit more aggressive. As my departure date gets closer we'll need to exchange info and see if we can track each other down.