Monday, April 7, 2008

i'm just typing

Yep. Nothing more to it than that.

 

Lucila- Monday afternoon, “yeah it’s not a problem. We can get you out of here, we do it all the time.”

Lucila- Friday afternoon, “I’ve never done this before, there are other agents in town you should go see who do it a lot.”

 

Yeah perfect timing there. Thanks for helping me kill a week in Ushuaia. She did send me to Marcelo who I am much more confident in and will  no doubt get me on a boat.  Lucila was very nice and tried hard though. Could have saved a ton of time and stress by giving me Marcelo’s info last Monday.

 

So yep, no Fenway Park. I’m still in Ushuaia. Going on 9 days now.  Once in a lifetime chance missed but so was this trip so I’m not going to complain too much.

 

I had the hiccoughs.  Those who don’t know me personally are asking themselves. “who cares?” those who do know me personally are laughing pretty hard right now since you know that I had them for 3 days and early on reached the exasperation point and was sighing after everyone.  Three days of acid, burping and the inability to eat in public without being embarrassed.  Do NOT send your secret tricks for getting rid of them. I’ve tried them all and believe me NONE work. 

 

It snowed in the mountains here and is down in the low 30s tonight I think. Getting cold. Still no southern lights though but I’ll keep wandering at night hoping.

 

I’m losing my hotel room in 2 more days so I REALLY hope to be on a plane. Oh and it’s Masters weekend which is even a better reason to be on a plane so I can enjoy the best 6 hours of TV all year on Sunday.

 

The leaves are changing.  Beachwood turns a very burnt orange color.  Some link the name Tierra del Fuego to this very phenomenon. 

 

Kansas won in OT.  Beauty of technology.  Props to Mr. Brian Hanson for letting me log into his Slingbox.

 

I was mad last Friday about not making it to Fenway for the ring ceremony.  Then I got over it. Saturday morning I was fine. I’ve accepted the fact that nothing will happen quickly getting my truck home.  I need to figure out my ship date so I can get flights reserved because the last minute flights from Ushuaia to SLC are PRICEY.

 

I’m dying to play golf. I think I’ll do it tomorrow. Southern most course in the world. Oh and I’ve played the Northern most in the western hemisphere in Fairbanks, AK.  Yep, I’m a dork.

 

There are things in South America that remind me of the US in 1998. Main street Ushuaia at 1am is one of those things. Whether it be a Peugeot 206, Chevy Astra, Ford KA, Fiat Clio or any other 2 door hatchback the Fueginos (as they are called) think it is still cool to cruise the drag with the over the top bass rattling their windows and in sync pulsating neon lights under their car.   They haven’t caught up to the bumble bee exhaust craze of the rice rockets of 2002 yet but they have all figured out a huge hole in, or completely missing exhaust makes just as much noise. 


have I talked about how LOUD South America is?  I don’t recall if I have.  The people, the cars, the tv, the garbage trucks, the police cars, everything is loud.  Somehow louder than ‘normal.’ It’s hard to ever find quiet because there is none.  Argentina compounds the problematic search for solace in that the people never sleep. Ever. Doesn’t matter the day of the week. They are awake 24 hours a day. Really it’s true. 3-7 pm is the only time there are not dozens of people on the street or in the room next to yours talking loudly.  It’s not just a southern phenomenon. When justin and I rolled into Formosa at 4am the streets were teeming with people. Old young, doesn’t matter. No one here sleeps.  I think they are taking the Cosmo Kramer/DaVinci approach and sleeping 1 hours out of every 6.  Right now at 2 am there are 5 girls walking down the street outside jabbering and sending texts. It’s so confusing and for a light sleeper it’s misery. I wake up every 45 mins by some interruption or another.

 

My truck has been parked on the street for 8 days and no issue. I like Ushuaia. Safe town. 

 

I am packed and ready to go. I was so hopeful for my trip home yesterday I pulled almost everything out of my car and packed it for the flight.  The Vokey 56 degree stays with the car.  Bummer. I have to buy a new wedge when I get home. No big deal if you’re normal but for neurotic people like me that means I have to buy 3 new wedges; 52, 56, 60 because you need consistent spin and groove wear on all 3 clubs.  “just wait” you say?  They are saying the truck might take 2  months to get home.  A lot of golf to be played between now and then.

 

Okay no more typing. Goodnight. Or morning. Or afternoon as it were.

 

 

2 comments:

Thrashes Rakes said...

Oh man, nine days in Ushuaia! Does it feel like you are in Casablanca without papers? ;)

Caro said...

Wow! Fantastic posts. I've just come across your blog and I find it really interesting. I'm from Buenos Aires, Argentina and I love traveling. So it's great to read your detailed description of the odyssey to Ushuaia. Wonderful writing.