Friday, February 15, 2008

a quick update

So what have I done over the last few days with no internet connection?

Well, I’ve puked about 30 times, shat about 5 fold that number, gone through 6 rolls of very rough toilet paper, shivered, sweat, and fevered (yeah I know, that word doesn’t make sense but deal with it) my way through a set of sheets, destroyed the rear of a Toyota corolla taxi while going less than 5mph, paid $138 to get it fixed and went on my way, covered some of the most amazing miles of my trip so far, ran with my cruise control at 70mph at 14,900 feet, higher than any point in the continental US, took the 5000th photo of my trip, passed 19k miles on the road, felt the desire to be home rather than here for the first time (cradling a fairly dirty toilet in a shady motel in your arms, while lying on the cold tile floor will do that to you. more than my own bed or a toilet i had a history and comfort level with I was totally fixated on drinking a 440z Cherry Coke filled with enough ice to make my throat burn from the cold while bs'ing at Corner 22 or on the porch with one of my friends),threw out my back after 2 days of bed rest and very violent dry heaving, had a sweet calzone for dinner and downed a bottle of water to try and rehydrate for dinner tonight, found a nice, but cheap, hotel to make up for the last two awful nights, spent 2 days in a hotel room with only one English language tv channel which showed the movie The Juror back to back, and finally tonight for the first time in Peru was able to connect to the internet via my phone. I’m going to put off Machu Piccu until Sunday to make sure I’m not stuck on a train vacating my dietary tract in one fashion or another. I think it’s the expedition gods’ way of reminding me that 5 star hotels are not appropriate for long term dirty stinky overland travel. I tried to sneak it in but I’m sure they noticed and I have been miserable ever since. However, I think I made it around the corner tonight, we’ll see. Tomorrow I’ll have time to recount the last few weeks in more detail since I’ll be kicking it close to home base. you know just in case.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

damn, you're one tuff hombre.
hang in there, you're doin' good.
gatorade - and loperamide if you can get it.

Anonymous said...

wait - but no loperamide if fever or bloody stool is present!

the following is from WEBMD,
This medication is used to treat sudden diarrhea (including traveler's diarrhea). It works by slowing down the movement of the gut. This decreases the number of bowel movements and makes the stool less watery. Loperamide is also used to reduce the amount of discharge in patients who have undergone an ileostomy. It is also used to treat on-going diarrhea in people with inflammatory bowel disease.

Loperamide treats only the symptoms, not the cause of the diarrhea (e.g., infection). Treatment of other symptoms and the cause of the diarrhea should be determined by your doctor.

Do not use in children younger than 6 years unless directed by your doctor. This medication should not be used in infants younger than 24 months.

How to use Loperamide Oral
If you are using the over-the-counter product to self-treat, read all the directions on the product package before taking this medication. If your doctor has prescribed this medication, follow your doctor's directions and the directions on your prescription label. If you have any questions, consult your doctor or pharmacist.

Take this medication by mouth, usually after each loose stool, or as directed by your doctor. Dosage is based on your condition and response to therapy. In children, dosage is also based on age and weight. Adults should not use more than 8 milligrams in 24 hours if self-treating, or 16 milligrams if under a doctor's direction.

Diarrhea can cause a serious loss of body water (dehydration). Drink plenty of fluids and minerals (electrolytes) to replace what is lost. Tell your doctor immediately if you develop signs of dehydration (e.g., extreme thirst, decreased urination, muscle cramps, weakness, fainting). You may also need to change to a bland diet during this time to reduce irritation to your stomach/intestines. Consult your doctor or pharmacist for more information.

Tell your doctor if your diarrhea does not improve after 2 days, if your condition worsens, or if you develop new symptoms. If you develop blood in the stool, fever, or an uncomfortable fullness/swelling of the stomach/abdomen, or if you think you may have a serious medical problem, seek immediate medical attention.

If you are taking this medication under your doctor's direction for ongoing diarrhea, tell your doctor if your diarrhea continues after 10 days of treatment.

Anonymous said...

Loperamide is marketed as Imodium-AD in the US. That along with acetaminophen (Tylenol) and ibuprofen (Advil) are invaluable for any third-world travels.

I also recommend carrying a course of antibiotics medications. For extended stays in questionable areas, I recommend two different types of antibiotics.

Anonymous said...

wow 3 anonymous posts catching me totally off guard. i had travellers diarrhea in Costa Rica and used what i had. forgot the name. This was full on stomach flu. the fever, sweats and body aches were a sure sign. Now I'm back to normal. came and went in about 3 days.