Tuesday, February 5, 2008

random randomness

75 pics or so added to the gallery. Southern Colombia, Ecuador, Peru. (yes the one of the reflection of my gut is intentional as is the uploading the one of my hand while trying to self-photographize, yep made up word)

 

After losing a filling in Costa Rica my tooth disappeared in Mancora, Peru.  Either I’m tough as hell or the tooth is dead because no real pain.

 

Plugged the clippers in tonight, took the risk and lost. 220v fried them. So no beard or hair trimming for a while.

 

Missing tooth, scraggly beard. I’ll look like a bum. Like Cain wandering the earth.

 

Speaking of Cain. I’ve been doing what I call the ‘royale with cheese’ test every now and then. Checking in on US food joints to see how they differ and what is similar.  KFC in Ecuador,  Kentucky fried shrimp. Crispy only. No original recipe.

 

Camped on a beach by myself last night. All alone for miles.  Took the recommendation of the hotel manager in Mancora, drove through an oilfield and a gate and found desolation.

 

Dunes and desert for 3rd straight day. I’m very happy.

 

Took a bath tonight. Not a shower. A bath.

 

John McCain is winning. Hilary and Obama are both somehow winning.

 

Tomorrow I’m going to see a shaman and the Sipan ruins.

 

Found an adapter for my laptop.

 

Michael Jackson’s greatest hits somehow compliments the desert well.

 

Thanks to Jason Call and family I played the harmonica for an hour on the beach last night.

 

Gas is still $4.15 a gallon.

 

Inca Cola is awesome.

 

Truck is organized, ready for Justin to arrive 2 weeks from today.  I hope I’ll have learned to stop talking to myself by then as well.

 

They sell microwave popcorn here in Chiclayo.

 

Some of the pics, a hat store with BYU hats in a Colombian market. Owner was totally shocked when I explained to him what BYU is. Sunset pics in Peru.  Mountains of Ecuador, farms in Colombia.  I really wish the pic of the girl in traditional dress and texting on her phone wasn’t blurry but if I had stopped she would have stopped texting.  One of the traditions of Carnival is kids dumping flour on each other and spraying people with hoses or waterballoon. A kid in caught me with my window down and drenched me with a hose.  Pics of my hotel on the beach and the resort town of Banos with its mineral hot springs. And I think a few equator pics.

 

Expedition Americas has gone international.  Oh wait. Umm yeah that happened like 3 months ago. It is not longer Occidental. The Orient has accepted me into its home. I got a PM from a Cruiser owner in Hong Kong today on IH8MUD.  I’ll post the link to his blog in the morning.

 

Umm what else?  That is enough randomness for tonight. A real post tomorrow. Colombia V and Ecuador/Peru updates.

 

 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

pulp fiction and michael jackson
never know what's coming next.

but I like it.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you found some Inca Cola. There was a Bolivian restaurant I would frequent while growing up in DC, and I quickly became addicted to Inca Cola.

Go Cougars!