Saturday, November 17, 2007

etiqueta

Stickers…

 

Caesar and Lionel taught me that word. And I’m guessing that is how you spell it.  I can’t believe the desire for stickers down here during the race.  You all know my proclivity for stickers.  See the pics above. It doesn’t compare to the demand for stickers down here. My first encounter was at the Pemex station in Ensenada. They were buried so I just said I didn’t have any. When I rolled through El Rosario the next day I was ambushed by school kids.  I pulled over and got them out. Nuts. Hands everywhere and wouldn’t share at all so I had to pass them out one at a time. By the time I left Guerrero Negro I was a pro.  The night I set up to watch the Baja 1000 a family from El Arco thought my chosen corner would be a good one as well. So I got out some stickers for them and hung out by their fire for awhile. I ended up playing catch with my glow in the dark football with 10 yr old Caesar and 9 yr old Lionel.   We didn’t say pretty much anything but they taught me the word sticker.  Even the adults wants stickers, military checkpoints, gas station attendants. It doesn’t matter.

 

Crazy…

 

Dave Connors

Lead - Expedition Americas

www.expeditionamericas.com

 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Como si dice is your friend Dave. Said "cohmo see deesay", it means "how do you say _ ". Hold/point to something and they'll let you know. Don't be surprised if those that can speak a little English won't speak Spanish to you. They have a lot of pride in learning the little bit of English they did, and they want to use it.

Anonymous said...

Stickers :) Sounds like a place where I would fit in. I need to start working on my Spanish.

Anonymous said...

dont you mean 'steeekers?'