Thursday, November 15, 2007

suicide isn't as easy as it sounds...

I tried to kill myself on Monday afternoon. It didn’t work.  No I wasn’t really going to end it on the verge of fulfilling a decade old dream. However, I wanted to let my old self go. Maybe murder would be a better analogy. I was hoping to let all my preconceptions and American values and mores (or is it norms?) fall by the wayside as I crossed the border. I was okay sounding like a child with my very fundamental Spanish.  Driving down a insanely narrow 2 lane highway with even more insane truckers is no big deal.  I wanted to live according to the terms of each country I visit.  My goal was to retain the skills to keep myself safe and out of harm’s way. But let the rest go. I realize that Mexico and Baja in particular doesn’t have the luxury to afford to be environmentally aware. I understand the conservation, for the most part is an affluent luxury. Wanting to adopt the local attitudes would mean to put my trash wherever I felt like.  Right or wrong it is their way. I have been here before and was aware of the filth. That is not the issue. The issue was my inability to fully adopt the Bajanian (yep I made that word up) ideal.  So last night as the camp fire burned hot and the stars lit the smog free skies I decided to at least burn my paper. I just had the cherry coke cans and Target bags left to haul with me. Within mins of rejoining Mexico 1 a basura can stood on the side of the road. Problem solved. It may seem minor but now I realize some ideas are right for a reason. Not polluting the landscape with trash is right regardless of nationality or affluence. I don’t expect the people along my route to adopt all my beliefs so I figure I’m okay not to acquire all of theirs. Seems like a fair deal. Would be a hell of a lot easier just to toss my trash out the window however.

 

So as I was bombing down a portion of the Baja 1000 route today some people flag me down and I pull over.  They have 10 gallons of water they don’t want to haul back home with them. They were a pit crew for about 10 teams. One guy on a dual sport bike who came through their pit 17th overall 2 nights ealier. Not sure how he finished. We began to chat and eventually it turns to where am I headed.  Instead of the usual disbelief I get. “I was did that same trip last year on my BMW.”  So a 20min conversation later I took off down the dusty trail with a new contact to glean advice from for my expedition.  Even has some contacts for me along the way.  A random encounter on some desolate dirt road and I find someone who has done the same trip.  What are the odds? 20 mins later and they would have been on the road themselves.

 

I spent 2 days watching Baja 1000 racers fly past my camp. Took a 4 hour hike and reorganized my truck. Time for some surf and sand. Off to the beach.

 

 

Dave Connors

Lead - Expedition Americas

www.expeditionamericas.com

 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

funny thing about travelling. i have always found that when i am out doing what i do, regardless how little it resembles the 'tourist traveller,' i always end up running into someone who has 'been there, done that' and has useful help. glad you are finding them already.

stay the course.


e

Thrashes Rakes said...

As you travel you take a little bit of home with you, no matter how hard you try to leave the past behind. You are an ambassador for our country, people's impression of America will be colored by by the people they meet from there.

The choices that we make, what we decide is right or wrong defines who we are. Looks like you are taking a hard look at yourself and making those tough choices.