Saturday, November 17, 2007

tres

Post number 3 for one day? Yep. I guess sitting around waiting for clothes to dry is the perfect way to get some writing done. Loreto was a fun town. Or I got lost and coasted into the Pemex on fumes. After fueling I looked for a taqueira. Found one surprisingly . what are the chances? Let’s just say I could eat Puerco Adobada every day for a mighty long time. Which a good thing because I may just have to. That stuff is Awesome. That’s with a capital A no less. After 3 tacos and a 2 cokes for 4 dollars I bought some more water, some coke, a snickers ice cream bar and headed out of town. On my way out I saw a lit playing field of some kind. So I drove down the wrong side of the road for half a mile while people flashed me until I found the stadium. There was a baseball game going on. Probably 150 people in the stands. Dirt field. No scoreboard. I watched for 3 innings. Both pitchers oddly enough threw side arm. The lefty had a curveball that was giving the opponents fits. Unfortunately, for him they tee’d off on his other stuff. It was 4, 4 when I left. Well at least that is what one guy told me. I am hoping to catch a lot more Latin baseball along my route. Supposedly the Winter (the Northern Hemisphere winter ) Leagues in VZ have incredible talent. I’m not a scout so I have no clue but it will be fun and education to watch games at that level and see how passionate the Latin culture really is about baseball.

What does this post have to do with anything? Well baseball, tacos and ice cream. Is there anything more important in the world? I’d like to think not. I’ve felt like a giddy little child the last few days. Fast trucks, desert landscape, chance encounters, desolate beaches, baseball and playing catch with strangers. This is exactly what I anticipated when I crossed into Baja on Monday afternoon. The reality has far surpassed the expectations. That doesn’t happen very often in my life and not only am I grateful to have this opportunity but the decision to take on this adventure has proven to be the right one…

So far. I’ll see how I feel once I am set free from the Guatemalan guerilla camp that I’m sure is just waiting for me.

Dave Connors

Lead - Expedition Americas

http://www.expeditionamericas.com/

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice, reminds me of Traffic.