Thursday, November 29, 2007

Some Reflection

Leg two is about to be cut off. I’ve received a few emails about how quickly I have been moving. Yes I am,  I switched from Victor to Captain Chaos after I got off the ferry and blasted across the country. When planning began I looked at my budget, looked at the land mass and unfortunately Mexico was the country to be put aside. It’s proximity to the US makes it too easy to return. Having spent some time here I will come back. 


I loved Baja and already talked about that.  I felt a weird disconnect with Mexico proper.  Okay disconnect is not the right word. That implies some sort of active process going on. I was never able to connect with Mexico proper. It was just a country I was driving across.  Until I reached Campeche.   I loved the town of Campeche. I ate some shrimp in my attempt to enjoy seafood (too much ahead of me on my trip) and actually did.  I posted pics of the view from my table of the old church and the town square. I walked around the city for about 90 mins.  Strolled the waterfront, got gas, bs’d with the guys at the military check point. I’m not sure why I connected to Campeche but I did and it was a good thing.

 

I cashed in some Marriott points here in Cancun and stayed in a brand new hotel last night. Did my laundry, reorganized the truck, sent out emails, sat in the hot tub. My time in 2 huge tourist destinations, Cabo San Lucas and Cancun have been spent in bed or running errands and I haven’t regretted it at all.  I did find a top 2 or 3 taco stand in all of Mexico (in my experience) last night. No complaints there.  Mexico is huge and I’ll be here a few more days. Tomorrow I’ll be wandering around Chitzen Itza with Ben. He doesn’t know it yet but my next blog post might be by him.  But essentially Mexico is over. It’s an amazingly beautiful country and I have experiences I still need to document but the Mayan exploration and bureaucratic nightmare that is Central America begins at 2 this afternoon. After going 8K miles in 3 weeks I’m looking forward to hiking around some temples and small towns over the next few weeks.  I love to be behind the wheel but it’s time for a break.   

I appreciate your interest in my trip and keep the emails coming.   The recent happenings in Venezuela and Bolivia have me a bit concerned but I have a lot of time and ground to cover between now and when I get there.  And I’m looking forward to that ground and experience all that it has to offer.

 

Dave Connors

Lead - Expedition Americas

www.expeditionamericas.com

 

No comments: